Top 10 Drummers | audio-sounds.com
Rolling Stones proclaims them to be “the best drummers of all time.” In the past 40 years, men of different styles, tastes and backgrounds have followed in the footsteps of the greats of rock and roll and made them the top 10 drummers in the industry today.
1. Jeff Porcaro
- Began his first professional drumming gig at the age of 17 while touring with Sonny and Cher.
- Co-founded the band Toto with his brother and childhood friends, which has become his most widely known music profession.
- Performed in Michael Jackson’s Thriller and his album Dangerous.
2. Josh Freese
- Known as one of the most versatile drummers in music today and performed with bands from Guns N’ Roses to Miley Cyrus.
- His career started at Disneyland in 1985. He later joined the band The Vandals in 1989.
- Has become one of the most sought out drummers in rock music and has appeared in over 300 albums.
3. Terry Bozzio
- Known for the talent to back up his extremely oversized drumming kits.
- Worked with several rock musicals in the 1970’s, as well as local jazz groups, and soon became a regular in San Francisco’s Great American Music Hall.
- Made his name in 1975 working with Frank Zappa and continues to work on a number of albums.
4. Thomas Lang
- Widely known as The Master of Stick Tricks, his instructional drumming DVD’s have become a legend in the music industry.
- Started The Thomas Lang Drumming Boot Camp in 2009, a multi-day drumming experience hosted in various cities around the world.
- Started The Bug Drum Bonanza in 2012, a five day long drumming festival.
5. Chad Smith
- Proclaimed to be the driving force behind the band Red Hot Chili Peppers.
- Has also wowed audiences with his performance in Chickenfoot and Bombastic Meatballs.
- Released Rhythm Train in 2010, a highly acclaimed children’s album which was recorded with Dick Van Dyke and Leslie Baker.
6. Phil Collins
- Known for his sensational drumming skills in the band Genesis.
- Contains a sensitive artistry during his powerful performances.
- Has received massive worldwide success in the music industry, receiving awards at the Oscars and his own star on Hollywood Boulevard.
7. Travis Barker
- The drummer who cannot hold still. He has become one of the most inventive drummers in the industry.
- Known best for his highly acclaimed work with the band Blink-182.
- Has worked on solo albums as well as appeared countless times on MTV and worked as a music producer.
8. Dave Grohl
- Contains a raw power that is unbeatable in the world of drumming.
- Best known for his work with the band Scream but has also performed alongside Them Crooked Vultures, Nirvana, Foo Fighters and Queens of the Stone Age.
- Additionally, has written all his own music and performed all the instruments for his side projects Late! and Probot.
9. Neil Peart
- An immensely technical drummer who has become known as “The Professor.”
- Best known for his work with the band Rush as their drummer and main lyricist starting in 1974.
- Using his effortless style with stick grip and indescribable solos, he has taken his place as one of the most respected drummers today.
10. Joey Jordison
- Joined the drumming world in 1999 with the band Slipknot and is now known as the master of metal.
- Masking himself as the “Metal Messiah” he has earned his title as an extremely quick but technical drummer.
- Has also worked with Korn, Rob Zombie and Murderdolls.
The best drummers in the industry today continue to wow audiences with their talent as music phenomenons continue to unfold.
About the author:
Mike Dangeroux is the lead guitar and vocalist for the Mike Dangeroux Band, specializing in everything from classics to contemporary music for any event.