10 Easy Tips On How To Choose Background Music for Powerpoint
Using music or sound in your Powerpoint presentation is a good way of livening up your talk. However, this may not be as easy as it sounds. There are a couple of things you have to consider and carefully think about.Here are 10 easy tips on how to choose background music for powerpoint.
- Think about the topic or subject of your presentation. Is it a report on the different kinds of personalities for your psych class? Are you doing a product presentation to top management in your company? Are you presenting a compilation of memorable photos for your newly-wed friends? Once you know the topic of your presentation, it will be easier to visualize the sound or music you want to play in the background.
- Think about your audience. Just like your topic, you also have to consider the audience for the presentation. Are you presenting in front of a group of students or before the top management of your company? Students would appreciate a fun presentation but you will most likely keep your presentation to your bosses formal.
- Event of the presentation also matters. This is related to the previous tip. Even though your audience may be students but you’re presenting in a formal affair, then you may want to stick to the generic background music for this.
- Consider the venue as well. As it relates to the tips above, a formal setting (like in an office or auditorium) will require a formal presentation whereas a presentation held at a beach during your friend’s wedding is more casual.
- Consider the effect or the emotion and response you want from your audience. Insert a funny sound after a joke to make them laugh more and how about a beautiful love song to go with those memorable photos?
- Decide on the style of music you need. Again, this should be relevant or related to your topic and audience, etc. For a casual presentation, almost any kind will do but for a professional presentation, you would want something more generic and not offensive.
- Use music that is readily available to you. There are a lot of sites in the internet where you can download free music or sounds for Powerpoint presentations. However, even before you check these out, make sure you have already browsed through your own collection of CDs and MP3s.
- Don’t forget about the format. Powerpoint only supports some formats such as MP3s. Make sure that your music or sound is in a format compatible to Powerpoint. It is also advisable to play the sounds before your presentation to make sure everything is in order.
- Manage the volume. In formal presentations, keep the volume low as it may distract your audience from your speech. On the other hand, in a casual presentation, you may turn the volume up a bit.
- Use music in moderation. You don’t need to insert music or sound to every slide. Use it sparingly so that only key points are emphasized.
- Check this Microsoft tutorial to learn more about how to add music to powerpoint.
Using music or sound in Powerpoint presentations can be a very effective tool to get your message across as long as it is used appropriately. Remember the 10 easy tips on choosing music for your Powerpoint presentation above to make your presentation a success.
This music library is a great resource of background music for powerpoint.